Equal Temperament, Oh really, what else is news?

Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:09:49 -0800

I don't think I would analogize this individual as someone trying to =
demonstrate that we didn't go to the moon.  He too is a CTE and an =
objective and academic sort without an agenda to push.  It's unfortunate =
that the discussion can't take place without so much vitriol and =
politics.

David Love
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Billbrpt@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: February 21, 2002 9:00 AM
  Subject: Re: Equal Temperament, Oh really, what else is news?

  In a message dated 2/21/02 10:18:57 AM Central Standard Time, =
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net (David Love) writes:=20

    There is a local composer/technician who has apparently done =
extensive research and found documentation suggesting that ET, contrary =
to popular belief, was actually being used pre-1800.  He has done a few =
presentations on this subject and though I haven't personally heard =
them, it certainly adds fuel to the fire, doesn't it.=20

    David Lov
  e=20

  Yes, and there are people who are still trying to prove that we never =
went to the moon, either, even though it would have been much more =
difficult to fake it.=20

  I don't believe this is true because tuning a really and truly Equal =
Temperament is as difficult to do by ear as isdrawing a perfectly =
straight line free hand without a ruler.  It is not impossible but very =
few can really do it.  Add to that, the information we have now was not =
known back then and the instruments they had back then were far more =
unstable than today's.=20

  Research, research and research, trying to find some thread of "proof" =
that somebody tuned in a way that nobody wanted back then all you want, =
it just is not true.  People will call anything "equal" if they want to =
and that's where the real truth of the matter lies.  It was called =
something it was not.  If they were really trying for ET, that's all =
they were doing is trying.  When everything sounded "kinda sorta pretty =
even"  (as a retired conductor used to call it), and there were no =
obvious "sour" sounds, then it was ET.  That's the way my EBVT or Jim =
Coleman's WT's sound and they are most decidedly *not* ET.=20

  I've also been researching for years too.  I don't bring this up very =
often because every time I do, I get accused of "unethical advertising". =
 But as a CTE for over 10 years now, I have seen and heard everything, =
both in and out of the exam room.  Very few people are able to score a =
100 in the temperament and midrange.  Even if they do, the tolerances =
can still allow for audible inequality.  Calculated elctronic programs =
are only as good as the accuracy of programming, the scale design of the =
piano and the aural correction of the two afterwards are.  But it's ET =
if you say it is or you mean it to be, so it seems.=20

  As far as I'm concerned, ET has always been and will always be a =
theoretical idea which is not worth pursuing.=20

  Bill Bremmer RPT=20
  Madison, Wisconsin=20
  Click here: -=3Dw w w . b i l l b r e m m e r . c o m =3D-=20