getting punch(y)ings

Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:31:44 -0800

I use the "stack on" procedure all the time and it works very well.  I don't
think it's necessary to remove the stack and replace the split punchings.
They're not going anywhere.  If you look under the keys of many Yamaha's you
will find many split punchings.  The tricks are in the tools.  You will need
a pair of alligator forceps, two lengths are better, longer ones for the
sharps.  For leveling on the bench, precut the punchings, lay your level and
insert them just slightly under the front rail punchings corresponding to
the key where they go, sticking out so you can grab them easily.  For the
sharps put the to-be-placed punchings between the two naturals so that they
are right in front of the sharp where they will go.   Stand the action up on
the back rail and insert a prop stick from the bench to the inside of the
front rail to hold the action up (don't walk away from it while propped in
case it slips).  Push the key up slightly and use a spring hook to reach in
and raise the punching if it's hard to reach.  Grab the punching with the
forceps, insert and push the key down.  If you are careful you should have
no problem damaging the existing punchings.  With Steinway balance rail
bearings it can be a little trickier but the spring hook works well to raise
those also. Be careful not to spin them around as you raise them.  You will
benefit from a carefully placed light and to see the sharps it is sometimes
easiest to sight between the bottom of the key and front rail.  When at the
piano place a cloth or pad over the stretcher, set the action up on the back
rail and lean it against the stretcher to hold it in place.  If you don't
have the pad, the drop screws will scratch the finish.  When you bring the
action back down be careful that there are no hammers raised that can catch
underneath the stretcher and snap off.  You can level this way very quickly
and accurately, I do it all the time.

David Love