damper lift

Jon Page jonpage2001@attbi.com
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 17:16:00 -0500

At 12:23 PM 2/22/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>List:
>Again I forgot to measure the height of the key end that lifts the damper
>when the hammer is half way to the string.
>Is there a relationship?  I want to set up the dampers now without the
>stack on the key frame since I'm waiting for the Ronsen hammers to arrive.
>Would it be logical to assume that one-half stroke of the key would result
>in one-half hammer travel to the strings?

         The damper lifts when the key is depressed one third it's travel.
Figure: (KeyDip - Aftertouch)/2 = hammer at half blow

>I think that's what I'll do and correct it later if necessary.  I can glue
>on the dampers now and be that far ahead after I get the hammers, shanks
>and flanges installed.
>
>BTW what do you guys think of damper lift.  Do you favor early or late
>lift referred to half travel?

         I prefer to install new dampers a shade late, say at 5/8 rather
than at 1/2 hammer travel. This way the felt will compact
         and the lift will not be too early.  I usually end up resetting
after a few months the 1/2.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.