Bass bearing bar

Fri, 22 Feb 2002 22:06:44 -0800

It's a Baus with a straight strung bass.  I don't rebuild uprights on spec.
This is an unusual situation.  The tech who was working on the job couldn't
finish it for some reason so they called me.  Cost of the rebuild to date
already exceeds the value of the piano.  My work will further that imbalance
but it's a family heirloom and they want to do it.  They are well aware of
the cost/value problem.  The piano is already strung and the former tech
suggested to them that a brass rod should be tapped in behind the pins on
the bearing bar because the wood is cut so deep that its making noise.  I
didn't want to do that because it would contribute more to negative bearing
in that area.  Not that it will really matter.  But the bearing bar is
simply screwed down and will come off easily.  It is a simple design that
can be remade without too much trouble.

David Love
----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: February 22, 2002 9:08 PM
Subject: Re: Bass bearing bar

> Just curious Dave. What kind of upright are you working on? What is the
extent of the rebuild? I have quite a bit of respect for some of the old
uprights, but I wonder if you can sell one that has been completely,
properly rebuilt (and not loose your shirt).

> Terry Farrell

side).  What is the correct angle that the grain should run?  Seems straight
forward on appearance, any comments?