Cease Fire! Apologies to all

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 09:36:48 +0100

Congratulations.

Sincerely,

St=E9phane Collin
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Billbrpt@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2002 3:43 AM
  Subject: Cease Fire! Apologies to all

  List,=20

  After a very busy day, I came home to read what had been said about =
everything and I do apologize once again to anyone and everyone who took =
offense to the way I express things.=20

  I am firmly committed to what I do.  I am first of all, a Piano =
Technician, meaning that I care for the piano in a complete way although =
I am no longer in the rebuilding end of the business because I have for =
at least 15 years had too much regular piano service demand to make shop =
work practical.=20

  I became interested in HT's reluctantly and believed all of the things =
I see written here at one time.  I did, however finally renounce the use =
of ET in 1989 and have never tuned it since.  I practice a number of =
HT's but had searched for years for one which would have the same =
universal application for which ET is known.  That lead to the =
development of the EBVT with Tempered Octaves, the arrangement I use =
most often.=20

  It has been in use now for 10 years and was used 4 times today, the =
last one being a 3 hour Concert Tuning and preparation for an event =
tomorrow.  There will be a premier of a new work for piano and chorus =
which is poetry set to music.  The rest of the concert will be similar, =
all choral music and piano, all poetry set to music.  This happens to be =
a favorite combination of mine, so I am very much looking forward to it. =
 I'll be attending and early dinner party, then going with a group to =
the concert.=20

  I wouldn't at all be interested in any debate or discussion about =
whether this 21 Century music should have been in ET.  I do what I do =
because I believe in what I do and it works for me.  While I appreciate =
the offering of the one person who came up with some 19th Century =
evidence of use of ET, I was not at all convinced by it but I did see =
from that writer what I have often recognized, the same resistance to =
HT's that I have for ET.  I think Chopin would have been uncomfortable =
with ET and I wouldn't want to hear it although I can hardly avoid it.=20

  We can all agree to disagree, yes, and I suggest we all do but let's =
leave at least some room for the minority's rights and opinions.  =
Alternatives to ET for the modern piano is a movement which is not apt =
to go away, nor am I.  If you don't see me write anything for a few days =
or a week, it's either because I am far too busy to do so or there is no =
current subject with which I would want to get involved.  I'll be lucky =
to have enough time to get Jason Kanter's graphs on my website, this =
weekend, so I don't really need to get involved with any more bickering =
or defense of my beliefs.=20

  I did want to apologize in particular to the person who took offense =
at my analogy to Scientific Creationism.  I am a life long, practicing =
Catholic but that doesn't mean I agree with everything my church teaches =
or the positions it takes.  I only meant to allude to a particular line =
of thinking which many in my own church have that I always believed was =
without foundation.  (Of course, that is strictly my opinion).  Needless =
to say, I find lots of what I consider foundationless regarding not only =
ET but also among the alternatives and other aspects of our work as =
well.  I used to call it "baloney" to avoid a more offensive and =
inflammatory term.=20

  If you read something I write and see "ranting and raving" or =
disturbed anger, please dismiss the thought entirely.  I don't rant and =
rave and I'm not angry at anyone even if my words may make it appear so. =
 I am a theater actor and creative writer aside from my work as a piano =
technician, so, in the words Bernstein's musical, On The Town, =
"Sometimes, I get carried away".  =20

  I can be quite quick and sharp with a come back, quite satirical and =
be quite cynical sounding but if you knew me personally, you'd know that =
I mean it no more seriously than Groucho Marx would have.  I respect all =
of you.  My goal as a piano technician and member of PTG has always been =
the advancement of the entire profession, not just maintaining the =
status quo.=20

  Sincerely,=20

  Bill Bremmer RPT=20
  Madison, Wisconsin=20
  Click here: -=3Dw w w . b i l l b r e m m e r . c o m =3D-=20