Bass bearing bar

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 22:56:43 -0500

At 06:34 PM 2/23/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Thanks Jon.  But why not set the pins before gluing the bar back in place
>avoiding the glue problems and the side-of-the-case-in-the-way
>problem.  Actually, the pins have not migrated on this bar so I will
>create a mylar pattern for the pin position and index it to the tuning
>pins before taking off the bearing bar.  I think I will make it out of pin
>block material though, a few people made that suggestion and it makes
>sense of course.
>
>On another subject, are you installing soundboards?  Are you making your
>own or buying precrowned.  If so, who are you getting them from.  I'm
>about to embark on soundboard replacement learning curve but have no
>desire to start building them from scratch.
>
>David Love

What I call a sound board press is using wooden I-beams clamped to the case
with pipe clamps,
spring loaded plungers apply the pressure (jpg available).

This is to glue the board back to the ribs or installing a cap without the
use of screws.
I leave s/b installation to those with more ambition.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com