New Yamaha C-1 "swoosh"

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 16:20:32 EST

In a message dated 2/24/02 12:40:35 PM !!!First Boot!!!, gmcc@charter.net
writes:

> So I think what she is hearing, in addition to the swoosh, is the sound of
> partials becoming active as the trichord brushes the string, because
> indeed, when you press the pedal, there is a series of a tonal scale, not
> loud, but definately audible.  Any suggestions on what to do?
> And I've not studied this, but why does this occur on Yamaha's and not
> Steinway or Baldwin?
> Thanks for any help
> Gary McCormick
>

> Gary

How old is the piano? If it is under warrantee, it might be covered.

I had a Baldwin C series that had this problem. I "voiced" the dampers. I
took each out, and, using voicing needles, softened up the felt. It didn't
eliminate all the swooshing, but got rid of enough of it so that the customer
was happy. Baldwin paid for the service call.

Wim