Test Blows

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 15:48:17 EST

In a message dated 2/25/02 12:56:09 PM Central Standard Time,
SimsPiano@AOL.COM writes:

> Hi,
> I've been taught to do a hard test blow on each string as I tune.   I've
> been
> wondering if the following might be a more efficient way to tune using a
> test
> blow.
> 1) Tune the entire piano using no hard test blows, but working the hammer
> back and forth to try to take all torque out of the pin once the pitch is
> right.
> 2) After the whole thing is tuned, go back and give each key a few hard
> test
> blows.
> 3) Now touch up whatever went out.
> What I figured was that on trichords and bichords, you're only hitting one
> test blow per 2 or 3 strings instead of 1 per string, which means either 2
> or
> 3 times fewer test blows.
> By the way, I use a SAT and start A0 and go up the keyboard.
> Comments??
> Thanks,
> Corey

Corey

I don't quite understand what you mean. In the first sentence you say you
give "a hard test blow on each string as I tune." But then at the end you say
"you're only hitting one test blow per 2 or 3 strings." If you are giving a
test blow for each string, then you are giving each note 3 test blows. At
least that is what you should be doing. Actually, you should give 2 or 3 test
blows for each string after you have tuned each of the unisons. In other
words, you should be giving  6 -9 test blows for each note. This should be
more than adequate to hold a tuning. It would not be a bad idea, however, to
give each note another 2 or 3 test blow after you have completed the whole
tuning. (Don't forget to give another couple of test blows on the corrected
strings after you made your corrections).

Wim