Self Tuning Piano System

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 16:26:32 -0500

At 02:13 PM 2/25/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>List,
>This news today.  I personally don't believe it's possible and even if it
>is, it's bound to be a lousy facsimile of the real thing just like all the
>rest of their junk.
>
>Bill Bremmer RPT
>Madison, Wisconsin
>
>QRS Music Technologies, Inc. To Develop Self-Tuning Piano System;
>Worldwide Rights Granted to Sublicense the Technology
>

>NAPLES, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 25, 2002--QRS Music Technologies, Inc.
>(OTCBB: <aol://4785:QRSM>QRSM) announced today that it has acquired the
>exclusive worldwide rights to manufacture, sublicense and sell a
>Self-Tuning Piano System. Presently, the system does not have a trade name.
>
>Richard A. Dolan, President and Chairman said: "The self-tuning piano
>system will be designed into the manufacture of a piano and will allow the
>piano to maintain itself in tune electronically. This device is perhaps
>the most important addition to the basic piano design ever made. The
>pianist is virtually the only modern musician who cannot tune his/her own
>instrument. This device will permit a piano to be completely tuned before
>each use in a few minutes, simply by turning on a switch." ...<snip>...
>Technologies acquired the rights to develop this unique technology from
>the inventor, Don A. Gilmore, Kansas City, Missouri.

The inventor was on the rmmp a few months ago talking about it.
 From what I gathered it is a pickup which afixes to the strings magnetically.
the unit is placed on adjacent strings with the pickup over the unison.
The display has a bar graph with the bar extending either up or down
depending on
relative pitch for each string in the unison.

It uses only the first partial. It is programmed to that piano for IH. A
dedicated tuner.

It will introduce a whole new meaning of tuning instability to a new group
of pin benders.

The above article makes it sound like a automatic tuning system but turning
the pin is done manually.

The inventor is the guy who had the robo-tuner in Providence a few years back.

The projected cost of the 'pickup tuner' is around $350.  I posted to the
rmmp that why would anyone
spend that when there's TuneLab which does much more (and different pianos).

It will be a business booster, just think of the broken strings and tuning
911's from the frustrated DIY'er.

You'll be seeing them in garage sales shortly after their release.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com