Steinway Bridge Material

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 22:50:18 +0000

At 8:25 AM -0500 25/2/02, Farrell wrote:
>Wow! Really? Ash is a fair bit harder than most mahoganies - is it
>not? You mention age. When were the two woods used? If maple is
>supposed to be such great wood for a bridge, why don't they just
>laminate layers of hard maple? What is the theory behind using
>mahogany or ash? Or is this simply "how the masters did it"
>mentality. I realize why hard maple is a desirable wood for a bridge
>cap (it's hard!), but what characteristics does it have that make it
>more desirable than other woods for the bridge body (I'm making the
>assumption here that it is more desireable because one sees it so
>often).
>
>Terry Farrell

I should have said I was talking of Hamburg Steinways (I've only ever
worked on one NY model) but I imagine the practice was similar.  The
ash was used before the first war; during the 1920s maple only
laminae were used, and the mahogany from I don't know when -- in fact
I have no written record of a particular piano.  The bubinga
mentioned by Ron O. is a much harder wood than mahogany (called also
African Rosewood) and it surprises me that this is used;  I guess
this is in recent pianos.  Fazioli uses mahogany, I think.

Maple (or in Europe more often beech) is used for bridges more for
its ability to hold the pins than for any tonal reason.  A bridge
made entirely of ash or many other open-grained woods would simply
split to pieces, but ash is very bendable even without steam heat;
for that reason it is convenient for rims etc.  Erard rims and inner
rims were made entirely of ash.  I don't know when Steinway began
with laminated bridges but probably in the 1870's, when ash would
have been much used in the industry.  I also think that, like so many
of Steinway's practices, the laminated bridge was chosen because it
was cheaper to produce and less wasteful of material.  It is also
stiffer and more uniform, but I think commercial considerations would
have come first.

A bass bridge is quite often made of spruce.  So long as the capping
is of quartered beech or maple and deep enough, it will do the job
and may even be better.

JD