Test Blows

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:33:26 -0700

    Cory,=20
   =20
    You might be trying too hard, my friend.  First of all, is this on a =
piano which you have determined only needs a one-pass tuning? In that =
case I would recommend doing test blows on each note before you make up =
your mind.=20
    My preferred technique ( Not patented, no royalties, etc.) is to =
give the piano two passes; every time. It's so easy to get it close on =
the first pass, and then to be just nudging pins on the second pass, =
knowing that the piano is already stabilized on the first pass.
    But the real reason I'm writing this is to note something that I =
have noticed lately. Say I pitch raise a piano, five cents or so, and =
when I'm done perhaps the piano, because of a stiff board-thick plate =
combination (either one or both) the piano ends up a couple cents sharp. =
I bang away while settling the pin, to get it back in tune, only to find =
later that it's creeped up in pitch again.=20

    I HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS!
   =20
        What I think is happening, is that you can pound a note too =
hard. The blow from the hammer draws tension into the speaking length, =
and later the string equalizes in the waste end, drawing the pitch =
sharp.=20
   =20
    It's good to give a piano those test blows, nobody wants all those =
call-backs from notes that go out. Different pianos respond differently, =
we get used to them with experience. But I've always been a firm =
believer in hard blows, and now I'm thinking maybe you can go too far.
    I remember Jim Coleman Sr. commenting on this phenomena, and sure =
enough, now I'm starting to hear it.

  ----- Original Message -----=20