Test Blows

Paul Chick (EarthLink) tune4@earthlink.net
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 20:29:51 -0600

Wim, Dave

This is my approach too. Seems the tunings stay put.

Paul Chick
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, February 25, 2002 6:12 PM
  Subject: Re: Test Blows

  In a message dated 2/25/02 5:40:49 PM Central Standard Time, =
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:=20

    I think the general way stability is taught is backwards:  i.e., =
tune soft=20
    and test with a few hard blow.  For the best stability I think you =
should=20
    tune with hard blows and then test soft where you can hear (or read) =
small=20
    deviations.=20

    David Love=20

  Dave=20

  I agree with you. I tune rather hard, but hit the note soft when I =
have to listen carefully to a false beat, or get a unison in place. I =
just tune the concert hall piano, and I probably did 10 - 12 "test" =
blows on each string, to make sure the piano will hold for the Rach 3, =
which is what is on the program.=20

  Wim=20