Babe Ruth's sunken Piano

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 21:22:32 -0800

Here is a rather interesting tid bit from today's news. The link is here:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2002/02/24/ruth_piano_ap/

I think these people are underestimating what would actually be involved
in this project, (if it is even possible), but it is interesting reading
anyway.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

BOSTON (AP) -- Red Sox fans will go to any depths to break the Curse of
the Bambino.

On Saturday, a group went to the bottom of a suburban Boston pond in
search of Babe Ruth's piano, which, the story goes, was tossed into the
water by the slugger in 1918.  The group hopes to refurbish the piano
and play it again, just as the Babe did in 1918, the last time the Red
Sox won a World Series. A season later, Ruth was sold to the New York
Yankees
<http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/ml/teams/yankees/> , who
have since won 26 championships.

"Once we bring this up, the Red Sox will win," Sudbury historian Lee
Swanson said.  The search is sponsored by the Restoration Project, a
rehabilitation program for adults with mental illness and head injuries.
It received a search permit from the state -- Willis Pond is state
property.  If the piano is positively identified, an excavation permit
would be needed to retrieve it.  "We're confident we can save it and
play it again," said Kevin Kennedy, a local upholsterer who volunteers
with the group. "Wouldn't that be something? The last person to play
this piano was Babe Ruth. Who knows -- it could end up at Fenway Park."

Five divers tried a blind search Saturday because visibility was poor,
said Chris Hugo, who works with the state Board of Underwater
Archaeological Research. They didn't locate the piano but said they'll
return with a "sub-bottom profiler," a sonar scanner to get through
sediment.  Organizers say they have proof the piano is there. On Dec.
22, Hugo used an infared camera and identified a "rectangular shape with
wiry weeds" at the bottom, 15 feet below the surface and near shore.
 The piano story has been local legend ever since Ruth rented a cottage
near the pond in 1917 and 1918.

Kennedy heard the stories after moving to the area last year and
investigated. If indeed the piano was there, he thought, he could
refurbish it with help from the Restoration Project.  It would be a way
to exorcise a baseball demon in the name of charity, said Kennedy, who
calls himself "your average frustrated fan."  But first, they had to
find the piano. Enter historians Swanson and Curt Garfield. Garfield
wrote "The 100-year History of Sudbury," in which he identified Willis
Pond as the resting place of Ruth's piano.  Still, Kennedy wanted more
proof.  He called the Babe Ruth Birthplace and Museum -- a block from
Camden Yards in Baltimore -- and spoke to director Greg Schwalenberg,
who found a photo dated "winter 1917-1918" showing Ruth posing at the
cottage.  Next, they found a letter in the archives of the late
historian Ralph Sheridan, a friend of Ruth's from nearby Maynard,
describing how Ruth often "sang around the piano with friends,' Kennedy
said.
The letter also described a 15-foot incline from the lake to the cottage
-- a perfect launching point.

If excavated, the piano would be state property, but the Restoration
Project would have preservation rights. State guidelines require that
the group outline how it would conserve the piano and how it would pay
for it. The nonprofit group says it will hold fund-raising events.  Ruth
was drawn to the pond, Swanson said, because several teammates lived
nearby. The area, he said, soon became a hotbed of illegal drinking for
Boston gangsters during Prohibition.  By that time, Ruth was leading the
Yankees to World Series victories. Many Boston fans believe their
beloved Red Sox have been cursed ever since.  "I certainly believe
there's something going on," Kennedy said. "In 80 years, we haven't had
a championship in Boston in baseball.  Perhaps we can eliminate whatever
this is -- whether it's a curse or a psychological block."