Sagenhaft

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:20:36 -0500

This is good start -- perhaps the rest of us can add to it in all
seriousness.  The fun some of us can imagine having when disposing a
cheap/useless piano can be the subject of another thread.

+  Some additions below ....

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 7:41 AM
Subject: Re: Sagenhatt

Well, I'm certainly not the authority on this topic, but I do run across
this need often, and since no one else is going to give a serious answer
(although I do find Jim's giving me quite a laugh!)............. Here goes:

I don't have the original post, but the question was, how do you tell a
high/good quality piano from a lesser one when inspecting a pianos for a
piano-seeking client. Here are my thoughts, many are broad generalities and
many exceptions can be found.

In a vertical, check case panels. Pressboard is generally low quality, solid
core better quality.

+  Check case dimensions -- the thinner, the cheaper.  Also, check
structural integrity by pushing and pulling at the side of the piano.
Perhaps the piano flexes dramatically thereby throwing off the tuning
something fierce.  It may even be possible to pull a side panel clear off or
at least dislodge the end of the keybed without too much effort.

In spinet, clip-on type drop wires (??term??) (on back of keys) usually
indicate poor quality. Better quality have action connection to keys that
have action centers and a capstan.

Any piano, look for hammer alignment and quality/consistency of boring. On
cheap pianos you will often find hammers all over the place.

+  Cheap pianos sometimes have hammers that are just plain too small.
Sometimes they're not even in order.

+  Also look at the action -- it too may be misaligned and all over the
place.  Sometimes the action components will be splintery and rough-looking,
sometimes great gobs of glue have oozed out and dried where it will.  You
really know it's cheap when you realize that true alignment will be
impossible.

+  Feel the action.  Move individual parts and watch how well they work
together.  Uneven, "uncomfortable" movement can indicate severely bent
centerpins in an effort to "align" the action.  Check the various screw
adjustments -- do they work predictably or are they so loose and/or crooked
that getting a working regulation will tax your patience?

+  Look for key warpage, or signs that the keys had been seriously warped.
Keys can often be made to look acceptable at the playing end while the
business end behind the fallboard may be all over the map.  Also, check the
bushings -- are they consistent?  Will they wear evenly or does it look as
if one side will wear prematurely?

Pianos with hammer felt laying in bottom of piano are generally lower end
pianos.

Pianos "Made by American Craftsmen" are not good pianos.

+  Look closely for more tell-tale signs that these Americans worked for
Aeolian.  Don't forget that Americans have worked for other manufacturers
and made first-class products  (Charles Walter, current production of M&H
for starters).

Vertical pianos that say "Grand" on the fallboard are a definite NO-NO.

I know some will disagree, but I find Kimball pianos consistently
undesirable.

Tuning pin coils. If the wire extends out through the other end of the
becket, it is likely a low quality piano. Also tuning pin height uniformity,
angle uniformity, and coil tightness are good indicators - more uniform,
better quality.

+  Sometimes these pianos are strung by machine, in which case the "locked
tail" (or whatever marketing departments care to call them) are consistent.
But sometimes these excess lengths are comically irregular.  Also, look for
bluing solution to be spilled all over the coil as well as the tuning pin
itself.

On vertical, weighted keys. Cheaper pianos will have unweighted keys.

Vertical, check out keybed robustness. Put your knee under the keybed and
lift up with leg. On newer pianos especially, you will see the keybed flex
significantly on lower end pianos.

+  Careful -- you might even dislodge the keybed that way.

All pianos, (grands of modest size) three section scales are generally lower
end pianos (more so on grands). Four section pianos are generally better
quality (in a vertical, definitely high quality).

Vertical, if there are three pedals and only two trapwork levers - watch
out! A cheap piano mfg. is trying to pull the wool over the consumer's eyes!

All pianos - look at the framing on rear (vertical)/bottom (grand) of piano.
No framing, definitely low-end piano. Generally the more and more robust
framing will be found in higher-end pianos.

+  Check for beams under a grand.  Some smaller grands have no beams to get
in the way of methods of ascertaining soundboard crown.  Check the ribs --
The wider the spacing between ribs, the cheaper the piano.

Vertically laminated long bridges are generally only found on better pianos.

Verticals, lower end pianos often do not have the hitch-pin side of the
bridge notched, better pianos will have both sides of long bridge notched. I
have never seen an un-notched bridge in a grand - even really bad grands.

+  Check the notching itself.  Sometimes the notching on the hitchpin side
of the bridge is for decorative purposes only.

+  Check for downbearing.  There was a thread awhile back concerning a
cheapo grand that was found to have to downbearing in the middle treble,
wasn't there?

Pianos wear out with age. In general, when someone is shopping for a used
piano, a newer piano will always be better than an older piano. Even a
10-year-old medium-low quality piano that is in good shape will be a much
better piano to play than a decent original quality piano from the 1950s or
older. However, an older piano that is well preserved will often be the
better piano than the newer cheapie. I just un-stuck a 1938 Baldwin
Acrosonic spinet (remarkably well-preserved) action for some local folks
that just got married and they have that piano and a 20 year old Kimball
console. I told them that if the pianos are to be played as-is, the Kimball
is better hands down because the Baldwin action is real slow. But if I can
free-up the Baldwin at low cost, the Baldwin will make for a much nicer
piano. They told me to take the action to my shop and hit it with
alcohol/water. It worked perfect. I believe they will be playing the Baldwin
and selling the Kimball.

Well, there's a few things to look at while inspecting a piano. Remember,
these are generalities. Many exceptions to these guidelines can be found.

The original poster mentioned bridges having notches in them often
indicating a lower-end piano. This is often true, but older good pianos will
sometimes have a notch. I own a 1900 Bechstein grand that has the plate
strut between the high treble and the treble sections going through a
shallow notch in the bridge. One thing I will say about a notch in the
bridge: if it is a deep notch and there is no additional support found on
the back of the soundboard at the notch location, it likely indicates low
quality - if there is a piece of maple attached to the rear of the
soundboard to add support to the notch area, it is likely a pretty decent
piano. I can only assume having the notch allows for easier engineering of
the plate. If you have to get that strut up another half-inch or so, I'm
quite sure you'll have to put twice as much metal into the strut (I'm no
engineer - I'm just guessing).

On my Bechstein, the strut only goes at most 1/8" into the bridge. I just
wonder if I could not slide by with grinding a quarter inch off the strut to
get clearance and avoid cutting the new bridge. Then again, I hear a lot
about old Bechstein plates cracking.......

Well, there's my 457 cents worth.

Terry Farrell

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI