String Replaced

Duplexdan@AOL.COM Duplexdan@AOL.COM
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 23:22:16 EST

Laura,

This note is about the effect of cracks in the soundboard.

 Although the input that cracks in the board can create a buzz is correct in
my experience, the idea that that is all they can do may not be completely
adequate. Over the period of years and in particular this week I have had
occasion to witness the deterioration of tone due to many factors including
numerous cracks in the board In this particular instrument, the strings were
corroded, the hammers were worn, and the pinblock was weak. The piano was a
Bechstein C about 1912. My comment, in particular refers to what can happen
when there are cracks in the board.

After close inspection I found that there was almost NO BEARING on the
bridge. Although there was no buzzing which could indicate negative bearing,
there was a tubby sound  throughout the spectrum. Consequently I would feel
inclined to state that this instrument indicates that the cracking of the
board may have contributed substantially to the loss of crown and
subsequently to the loss of tone

The bottom line here is there may be more to a crack than space! when it
comes to the effect of cracks in a soundboard. Thus the solution to a buzz
may be shimming; but the production of a good tone may require more
substantive procedures, e.g. a new board.

Up to now I have no knowledge of any technique that can restore crown to a
board that has been shimmed or repaired. If it can be done i'd surely like to
know how to do it.

Dan Franklin
duplexdan@aol.com