Tuning pin size for plate flange thickness

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 01:18:34 EST

     Paul Laurudee and list
         As with many topics discussed on the list the most recent one on
tuning pins torque and such made me re-evaluate my choice of pin size in
certain  pianos.
    I think that Paul made a case for stiffer pins (twos over ones) in
bushing less plates.  As of late all the pianos in the shop are without
bushings but decided that certain ones of these require no. 2 pins and 2 1/2"
in length. A stwy D for example has a heavier scale and with no. one pins the
flaggpoling will be greater, but also it will be greater yet if the plate
flange is thick and some flanges are quite a bit thicker than others. I.E.
3/8" or more!! Hence for now I've decided that no. two pins will go into all
D's and  longer 21/2" pins where the flange is thick so that more pin is
needed to protrude in the block.
   I just strung a Mason A with a very thick plate flange ( 3/8"/10 mm) or
more thru out so I also  strung it with no. 2s'  by 2 1/2" and it fits and
feels very solid.
   I like the no. ones in the smaller pianos with thinner flanges and less
tension.