Vose upright c1911

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 07:40:00 -0500

On Thursday, February 28, 2002, at 07:13 AM, James Baker wrote:

> I pitch raised and tuned this piano.=A0 It had some new strings and =
knots=20
> in places and 4 strings broke which I spliced.=A0=A0I had to order a =
new=20
> wound string and while putting it on yesterday, a string I wasn't even=20=

> working on broke.=A0 The pin was too loose to hold tension on a new=20
> string.
> =A0
> My question: The piano looks in good shape otherwise (back, action,=20
> bridges),

It has a brass  hammer rail, I think. Make sure it and the clips are in=20=

good shape.

> should I recommend restringing with over sized pins or not?=A0

I think the Vose pins are tapered so you might need to ream before=20
installing new pins. I also seem to recall pins bottoming out when=20
driving them deeper.
In other words, check it out carefully before diving into it.
Patrick

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: text/enriched