Vose upright c1911

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 07:59:53 -0500

Hello Jim Baker! Sounds to me clearly that the strings on this piano are right at their limit! If they continue to be used, I think it is likely that strings will continue to break. Whether to recommend restringing. I think you are correct with your feeling that it is appropriate to raise the issue with the owner that there is a problem with the strings on this piano. Now, what to do about it.

I try to explain to folks what they will end up with if we do procedure X, Y, and/or Z. I know you say the action looks good - although not too many 91 year old pianos I see are in very good shape. I find that with 99% of these critters, I can only recommend tossing it or rebuilding the whole thing. If you restring you will have to replace damper felt. Are the damper springs as strong as they should be? Maybe we need to completely replace/rebuild the damper levers, etc. Are the hammers good enough that they will compliment those nice new strings (new strings and 91 year old hammer often don't compliment one another)? As long as we are yanking hammers, what about shanks and butts, etc. And on and on the sad tale goes - whippens, keys, bushings, etc.

I would suggest that for between $3K and $5K you could restring the piano and do a real nice job on the action and keys. Of course this all assumes the soundboard is good (evaluate piano tone/power/sustain, measure downbearing all over and measure crown all over). Now we have a very nice playing and sounding piano.......do we want all this in a case that is finished in alligator-skin laquer???????

And of course, if it is a family heirloom, ignore anything I said, and if they are willing to pay, do whatever they want!

That's my take on it.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Baker" <JamesBakerRPT@carolina.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 7:13 AM
Subject: Vose upright c1911

I pitch raised and tuned this piano.  It had some new strings and knots in places and 4 strings broke which I spliced.  I had to order a new wound string and while putting it on yesterday, a string I wasn't even working on broke.  The pin was too loose to hold tension on a new string.

My question: The piano looks in good shape otherwise (back, action, bridges), should I recommend restringing with over sized pins or not?  They have a Steinway A for serious playing and this is the "fun" piano.

By the way, the broken strings are most all top row pins. (mouse, I explained to wife)