Key Leveling Devices

Paul Chick (EarthLink) tune4@earthlink.net
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 08:18:11 -0600

Bill
I've used straight edges over the years because they always show me the =
direct height relationship of adjacent keys.  My current one is a piece =
of the lightest aluminum angle I can find, one side straightened and the =
other crowned. Previous recent posts describe the technique I use with =
double punchings as gauges as described by another subscriber to this =
list.  The side of the angle that best suits the job is selected. Rarely =
are more than 2 passes required.  I prefer key weights to hold down the =
back of the keys.  After levelling is finished, key dip is easily =
checked and corrected.  Let me know if you need more details.

Paul Chick
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Kelly & Bill=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 5:36 PM
  Subject: Key Leveling Devices

  List,

  I am curious to know what everyones favorite method (tool) for doing a =
complete key-leveling job is.  I am new to the sport and would like =
input on the best tool for the job.  So far the only methods I'm aware =
of are: aluminum straight edge, the Jaras tool, and the Sciortino tool.  =
Are there others?

  Thanks for the input

  William R. Monroe
  Salt Lake City, UT