Retrofit "soft-close" fallboard on U1?

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:56:47 -0600

Hi Cy,

It would seem silly to me to have a "soft close" mechanism. I don't like
them on the new Yamaha's either. they make it a misery to get the fall
board on and off--and it is *very* easy to scratch the highly polished
black ebony finishes.

At 11:37 AM 2/28/02 -0600, you wrote:
>I have a 20-year-old Yamaha U1.  Is it possible to retrofit a soft-close
fallboard mechanism?  I've asked Yamaha, and they say their current parts
would require extensive modifications.  I found one kit at Schaff, I think,
but I'd like to know if anyone else has tried this.  Which kits work?  How
hard is it to install?

>Thanks...
>
>--Cy Shuster--
>Rochester, MN