Computers gaining ever bigger role in making music

Carol R. Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 17:14:09 -0500

Mr. Bremmer - you must have had a really rough week or someone tampered with
your wine cellar!  We all have days when it appears that someone put bones
in our milk - so I will not be judgemental about how you have seen the
tuning and music business these past few days.

I interpreted the article about computers and music to be that computers are
more of a tool to creating music.  Just as desk top publishing and email has
made authors and publishers out of people who would not have bothered given
the mimeograph machine and the manual typewriter, I find that music
sequencing software offers tools that have heretofor been unavailable to the
"common folk".

It is now possible to compose music and get it written into proper music
notation with just a press of a button instead learning how to write music
notation by hand.  It is now possible for a student to get an idea of how a
piece of sheet music sounds just by scanning the sheet into a TIFF file, and
using a music notation program to convert  the "picture" to a MIDI file that
can be played on a computer or a MIDI player piano.

Computer aided music allows piano players to play their pianos and have the
orchestra accompany them - for those who own Disklaviers, PianoDisc and
Pianomation systems installed on their pianos.  Computers allow music lovers
of all ages to edit music and easily create orchestra scores and choir
arrangements in any key signature that fits their voices.

We should be greatful that computers are making music creation and
enjoyment, as well as piano tuning more accessible, and therefore easier to
compete with sports for people's time and money.

I taught a little mini-tech at the convention in Arlington about how
computer software can contribute to more people enjoying music, but I am in
doubt as to whether piano technicians are ready for this yet.  I also was
present at the Smithsonian Hall of Musical Instruments when Owen Jorgenson,
with his 2-foot tall manuscript, gave his lecture on historical
temperaments.  We had 4 pianos from the different centuries, tuned in their
appropriate temperaments, and had students from Peabody Conservatory play
the same music on each instrument.  To hear these instruments played in
historic temperaments was an ear-awakening experience.  To me, it was like
hearing music in color, instead of black-and-white.

I use the above examples to point out to you that just as you are unwilling
to accept that computers do indeed make a remarkable difference in what can
be done with music - others are just as unwilling to accept that historic
temperaments can make the music written for them sound more beautiful than
can be imagined.

The germ theory of disease was another concept that didn't go over well at
the time it was proposed, or the concept that the earth was round and
orbited around the sun; but over time the truth was accepted.

Don't despair, Mr. Bremmer, as "the suffering of idiots" works both ways!

Carol Beigel, RPT
Greenbelt, Maryland