Bronze powder

Jon Page jonpage2001@attbi.com
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 08:09:10 -0500

At 10:37 PM 3/26/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi list,
>  I asked the other day about spraying a plate,and the message got
> deleted.I received the bronze flakes,and liquid from Schaff with no
> mixing instructions at all.How much liquid, to flakes do I need? Also do
> you add any lacquer,or thinner to mix?Any tricks do I need to be aware
> of,or is it a pretty straight forward sraying job?
>Thanks,
>Hazen Bannister

I've never seen a proportion suggestion written. You just have to try.

If you don't put in sufficient powder the coating will be translucent and
will take too many coats to cover.
If you put in too much the tip on the gun will clog or the finish will be
grainy.

Mix in a separate container, observe how it coats the stirring
paddle.  pour it into the cup through a filter cone and
flush with thinner.  Add reducer/retarder for better flow out.

It will take some experimentation before you get it right. If it is too
thin, add more powder; if it's too flaky, add more lacquer and thinner.
If you get orange peel, add more thinner or retarder.

Do not touch the surface once you have a good coating, spray clear coat
with retarder to flow out.  If you handle the surface a finger print
or palm print will slowly oxidize under the clear.  Once the clear coat is
dry, use a waterbased black on the lettering.  Magic marker fades
over the years, black lacquer is OK but don't make a mistake; that's why I
like a water base. Spirit base enamel would be a second choice.

I don't know what the liquid is that Schaff sent you, I get lacquer from
Mohawk and the thinners/retarders. (minimum order $85.)

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com