Phil Ford re pitch/sound differences

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 16:37:30 -0800

Phil,
Several years ago, I was the tuner for the Otter Crest Jazz Festival. One of
the performers was TeTe Montalou (sp?). This, absolutely great, pianist was
blind and deaf in his left ear. Hence, during his performances he require a
monitor AT his right ear and the lid down on the piano.
After his performance, I inquired if everything was ok on the piano and he
replied....."yes, but it would be nice if it were tuned to 442". At the
time, I didn't think much of that comment. After the Festival was over, he
was scheduled to play a gig at a Salem, (Oregon), Nightclub and I was asked
if I would do the piano prep and tuning. To which, I eagerly agreed to do.
(I can't get enough good Jazz!)
The piano was a different piano from the Festival...As I recall a 5'10?
Kawai, in good shape, but horribly out of tune and low in pitch. I spent
quite a bit of time on it. Just for giggles, (mine), I thought I'd tune it
to 442.
After the 1st set was over, I saw TeTe exitedly urging his Sister/Guide to
find me! I thought....Oh, Oh, I'm in trouble now! When he got to my table,
he was very excited and leaned down and said...."Thank you for tuning the
piano at 442, it makes the music sound soooo much better!"
So, having said all that, I believe that anything outside of the standard
440 pitch will make the music sound different. Not necessarily wrong, just
different. And upper end musicians CAN tell the difference, IMHO
regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)