Scales on Plates & Books with scales for specific models

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Wed, 01 May 2002 07:14:11 -0400

> Any similarity between the original prototype/design and
> what comes off the end of the production line, is IMHO
> purely dumb luck on someone's part.

This has been my experience as well.  I have found one or two that I would not
change but the all the others required considerable changes in the bass design.
Even "modern" designs have a lot to be desired.

The reason I started 'rolling' my own was/is because the strings I got back from
the string winders sounded worse than the strings I took off the piano.  Then I
started hearing the differences on other pianos and knew I could make
improvements.

Since I have been doing scale changes for others in the field I think I have
seen about 200, or more, scale myself.

My advice?  Measure, check, compare and rescale.

Some have said, "Well, that was the intent of the original design." to which I
say, when you see the graphs of tension, inharmonicity, loudness factor and
breaking % you will think different.

Too early in the morning to be doing serious thinking.

Have a great day all.

		Newton