Quiet table saws

Thu, 2 May 2002 08:46:43 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Newton Hunt" <nhunt@optonline.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: May 02, 2002 5:25 AM
Subject: Re: Quiet table saws

> Look for a direct drive (no belt) and get a Freud low noise blade.
Properly
> balanced motor and good blade will make a saw nearly inaudible.  Those
little
> belt driven saws with router motors are horrid.
>
> Newton

Hmmm?  Most of the small direct drive saws I've encountered have dc
motors -- i.e., 'router motors' -- and are quite noisy. AC motors (much
quieter) are used with belt-drive models. The AC motors are generally larger
for a given power rating and need the extra space.

A good shop saw using a lot of cast iron -- such as a Delta Unisaw, a
Powermatic (both of which I've used) or a General (which I've not) -- using
an AC motor, having an enclosed bottom end, using good segmented belts and
with a quiet blade is about as quiet as you're going to get.

Del