different focus was Re: Bass strings/Willem's response

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 2 May 2002 19:18:28 EDT

gcasper@pacbell.net writes:

> Wim:
>
> In what area of the world are you working? I'm gonna send my re-stringing
> work to you, since the estimates I get around here if I want to farm it out
> averages $1000 - $1500 for bass strings alone, and near $3500 for the whole
> piano. At the rates you quoted, I could almost ship the piano to you, pay
> your rates and STILL come out ahead!
>
> Greg Casper
> San Jose, CA

To replace a set of bass strings, in the home, is $555. ($450 if the piano is
in the shop). To restring and repin a grand piano is $1600. That does NOT
include: cleaning, refinishing and/or repairing or shimming the soundboard,
cleaning and/or refinishing and lettering the plate, replacing the damper
felts and regulating the damper system, which I highly recommend, and a new
pin block, which I also highly recommend. If you want me to do all of those
things too, it will cost another $1200 - $1500, depending on the condition of
the soundboard, plus transportation, of course. So check with your local
contractor, and see if the price they quoted includes all of what I said my
"stringing" job does NOT cover, before you send me a piano.

Wim