improvements

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Thu, 2 May 2002 20:12:49 -0700

Dave; I would be very surprised if Steinway ever even attempted any =
improvements. Look at what happened the last time they tried; Teflon =
bushings that we're still replacing. So, instead, they're going to go =
for what works in the market, name brand recognition. As far as I can =
tell, that's the main thing they have going for them, so they rely on =
that. I've seen quite a few "dogs" with the Steinway name on the =
fallboard, and to be honest, some truly wonderful instruments too. I =
guess it depends on what day of the week it was built.=20
    If they were interested in making a piano that was easier to work =
on, how about getting rid of that antique sostenuto system that they =
use? I don't think they could get burned by going to a more modern =
design, say, one that's only been in use for fifty or so years, do you?

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David M. Porritt=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2002 5:27 PM
  Subject: improvements

  While looking at the cover of the current Piano Technicians Journal, I =
got to thinking about all the ads and articles about new and improved =
pianos.  Yamaha has come out with their "S" series, Kawai the "RX" and =
now the Shigru.  The artical about the NAMM show detailed many =
improvements in several other pianos.

  Why is it that the only news from Steinway has been about new looks?  =
New furniture around the same old scales.  The picture on this month's =
cover is impressive, but it's the same old "D" inside.  Have they really =
already attained perfection?  Inquiring minds want to know.

  dave
David M. Porritt
dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Meadows School of the Arts