Sherman Clay Grand

Fri, 03 May 2002 09:11:20 +0200

Wimblees@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 5/2/02 6:09:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
> Gary.Bruce@oc.edu writes:
>

>> List,
>>
>> A customer has a Sherman Clay Grand Model SCDH SDG1 circa 1986.
>> I've
>> maintained it since it was new.  About 3 weeks ago a bass string
>> broke.
>> Then another, now another.  The first and third broke at the agraffe
>> and
>> the other at the bridge pin.  Her son plays a lot of Rachmaninoff
>> type
>> music with a heavy hand.  Any others experience this?  Are we in for
>> one
>> at a time breaks?  Should I recommend replacing the whole set?
>>
>> Gary, RPT
>
> If your customer is into Rachmaninoff, I would recommend replacing the
> whole piano. A 4' 10" Sherman Clay, (AKA Samick), is not made to stand
> up to Rach.
>
> Wim

??????? er... would it be up to playing Mendelson then ??... How can a
piano be made to "stand up" (or not) to one or another composer ?

Dont get me wrong.... I am not fond of these prenatal grands either...
but I never heard it said they are too small to take a beating. :)

grin.... reminds me of the time dead baby jokes were the latest thing...

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.