improvements

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Sat, 04 May 2002 16:19:27 -0600

At 09:38 AM 04/05/02 -0400, Terry wrote:

> > Actually, over the years an observable trend has thrust itself upon
> > me. Invariably, the quality of the piano manufacturer seems to be
> > inversely proportional to the number of brand names it manufactures
> > under.
>
>Hmmmmm..... Steinway & Sons, Boston, Essex........ what is the trend here?

As I mentioned in a previous message, it's the same trend you see with
other American musical instrument makers. Why should Steinway be any
different? It is, after all, a publicly-traded company that needs to make
rising profits in order to attract and keep investors.

Since the number of pianos they can make in a year in NYC is pretty-well
fixed what other options do they have that won't compromise the quality of
their instrument (the "Standard Piano of the World") in light of the rising
costs of doing business? There are two obvious directions that have been
very successful for other musical instrument manufacturers while retaining
the integrity of their main products. They could make some of the cases
more elegant and more expensive as well as more profitable, which they have
done, and they could start selling more inexpensive pianos made under their
auspices but with a different brand name made overseas, which they have
also done.

Sounds like a good plan to me compared to how the company was bled dry by
CBS for two decades in the last century and we still have to put up with
that whole era of their pianos. Regardless of the vintage at least Steinway
has left us with a standard salvageable "carcass" in different sizes that
we can restore, detail or customize at will. We should salute them for
that, not berate them because their instruments have been basically the
same for a hundred years.

                 John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
Pianotech IRC chats Tuesday and Thursday nights and Sunday Mornings
http://www.bigfoot.com/~kmvander/ircpiano.html