Key Height

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sun, 5 May 2002 07:42:37 -0600

Zi,
By raising the key height you also moved the capstan back under or in =
this case to a more favorable position under the wippen cushion.=20
Don't just try this on all actions as the geometry might not be the same =
the next time. <G>
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Z! Reinhardt=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2002 6:51 AM
  Subject: Key Height

  How DOES one go about teaching how to establish proper key height in =
an upright?  I've heard discussions about parameters as determined by =
case parts, balance pin height, and so on, that doesn't really home in =
on the optimum key height.

  Recently I came to a fairly new delivery where the customer complained =
that she couldn't get sufficient repetition.  Two other technicians =
before me had tinkered with the action enough to get sufficient =
aftertouch, but the piano played with all of the grace of a heavy truck. =
 Both technicians had confessed to the customer that they were not =
pianists, and had done as much as they could according to the =
manufacturer specs.

  Now I'm hardly a pianist myself, but my first sense was that the keys =
were sitting too low.  OK, raised the key-height, and regulated the =
action accordingly, including adjusting the key depth.  Got a nice =
aftertouch equation and turned the customer loose on playing it.  She =
reported that the action now flies.

  What have I done?  Both technicians and the dealer all want to know.  =
I told them what I could, but realized that I had no real way of =
explaining how to determine what the optimum key height should be for =
any particular upright piano.  The original key height was well within =
the parameters mentioned above when I first came to the piano, but I =
knew it could be greatly improved ......

  Any ideas out there?  Thanks!
  Z! Reinhardt  RPT
  Ann Arbor  MI
  diskladame@provide.net