Getting the action parts

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 6 May 2002 15:22:59 EDT

claudia_cimenti@mail.com writes:

> So, is it ok for action parts to become wet? I guess there is a distinction
> to be made between using a small amount of liquid on a rag to clean stuff,
> and then drying it off vs. putting a whole assembly in liquid. What are
> possible ramifications of getting action parts wet? Next to felts coming
> off, what about center pin bushings, etc?
>
> Thanks in advance for your clarifications.
>
> Regards,
> /Claudia

Claudia

The only parts you can "take in the shower," are the dampers from a grand
piano. Here, you want to get the felts wets, to loosen the glue, so that the
felts will come off the damper heads. That is the ONLY part of a piano that
can get wet. The rest of the action, especially an upright action, should not
get wet. You can use a damp rag to clean the hammer rest rail, but that's
about it. (unless you follow Mr. Bullocks advice for removing damper head
glue).

Wim