tuning <> TUNING

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Wed, 8 May 2002 01:51:24 +0200

Sorry was not very clear, I was asked to tune in meantone 2 instruments
(cembalo and a little organ), then I've seen that the harpsichord player
could not check the tuning (even if it is easy with meantone) while the
organ player was able to hear when it pleases him or not.
In fact he corrected me on the way I was doing it (only with RCT never
worked without a little tweaking by ear).

Then I discover that even while having the good values (offsets) in cts, and
hearing pure thirds, the musician was able to tune pure thirds that was
better sounding.
The checking with one partial done with RCT was not enough to produce fine
sounding intervals (and it was on instruments without inharmonicity
problems ).

It have the flavor of meantone but not the taste, (or something similar if
you see what I mean), and on 25 people, only 2 could check the taste of the
tuning.

I believe the same thing happens with ET, it is musical or not.

Adding or subtracting "life" in intervals is not only a matter of beats
between partials me guess .

Very esoteric.

OK I'm gonna sleep now

All the best

Isaac OLEG

P.S. Not liking too much the sound of his vertical Yamaha piano, and at a
moment where I did not new how to bring back fast the warmness of tone of a
piano, I tuned a customer's piano in EBVT after asking him, and it helped to
mask the poorness of tone.
It pleased him, but after I voiced back the instrument and tune it in a good
ET (only tweaked by the piano itself), he likes it far better. I am only
there in my experiments ...