bedding the keyframe

Don Rose pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Wed, 08 May 2002 12:42:34 -0600

Hi Gerald,

It affects power and therefore partial structure. If the partials increased
(made louder) then it can and does affect tone color as well as choice of
octave size. Piano work is like chewing gum. Pull at one point and the
whole structure changes. I believe it is one reason that the so called
"golden age" pianos are still around, and still competative--they were
massively over built. (or maybe they were adequate and what we have now is
not?)

Speaking of which I tuned a wonderful old Knabe upright. It is the first
one I have seen. Not a hint of false beats anywhere. *sigh* if only all
pianos were as nice.

At 01:08 PM 05/08/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>What does "bedding the keyframe" mean ?  A recent post suggests it affects
>tone somehow.  I thought you just made sure it sits in there solidly.
>Thanks,
>Gerald

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca