CBS years at S&S was improvements

Thu, 09 May 2002 11:05:47 +0200

Hi John and Keith

John  writes :

>Here we have this "mature" concept again. Despite all the scientific
>explainations why this can not be so... time and time again people have
this
>observation that instruments can get better as they get older.

With all due respect, you missed the point, Richard. Shortly before they

were made (compared to their expected lifetime) the components of the
piano
were living trees and grazing sheep and other animals. There's a joke
with
some new pianos that says something about them being so new there are
still
leaves still growing from the parts.
________________

No, but thanks for the respect grin... I dont think I missed the point.
I have seen the idea that pianos can "mature" come in many variants and
I didnt really get into what my own idea about that was. I was just
remarking that here again was someone who adheres to the idea in some
sense or another. Some folks discount the notion entirely, and others
take it to include only the first 3-5 years--- others say 10 to 15 and
still others say much longer... and there are variants of whats involved
also.

I deliberately kept out of that side untill your expectations were put
into the "prophecy" box. This is one of my little pet peves you see, and
I suppose all that is a discussion in itself.

__________

Keith writes

> >...After a few years of  tuning and regulating and the parts have
> >all stabilized the piano is about as "mature" as it's going to get.
> >As we all know, mechanically and tonally it's pretty-much downhill
> >from there until it's rebuilt, hopefully again and again...
> >                 John
>
> John, List,
>
> I'm afraid I am not part of the *we*, John.

I am afraid I cant buy into Johns wording either.... action and wear and
tear parts can be easily renewed. Whether and evt. to what degree the
acoustical producing elements can benifit from many years going by or
not.... and under what conditions if so, is simply an unanswered
question. And a good one at that.

> I have no direct knowledge that your statement is valid. Just seems
> to me that it would only take one instrument out of all that have
> been made to date to invalidate your universal deterioration claim.
>
> Just too many factors for anyone to know all there is for such a
> thing to be empirically so.

Agreed.... at least no one has gotten to that knowledge as of yet.

> That's how I see it anyway.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Keith McGavern

Cheers !