Jorgensen vs Isacoff

Thu, 9 May 2002 08:15:19 -0700

Focusing on the theoretical attainability of ET as an argument to accept =
or reject it, I find to be disingenuous.  Even if we accept that =
"absolute" ET is unattainable, small deviations don't destroy the =
relative effect.  Your argument seems to be that since ET is =
theoretically unattainable, we should abandon it for EBVT or its =
equivalent.  I have heard the argument that it is easier to tune, more =
forgiving.  In other words, it tolerates greater deviations.  Thus, if =
we can expect to neither tune an absolutely perfect WT, what should we =
abandon that for?

The bottom line is, that small deviations can occur without destroying =
the effect.  And they routinely do occur.  If you put all the C&A tuners =
together and compared their tunings, I am sure you would find =
deviations.  I am also sure that each tuning would be more than =
acceptable to the most demanding concert artists. =20

The truth is, that tuning is as much art as science and it is the net =
effect that is important.  Your own argument for "tempered octaves" =
suggests that.  They are certainly far from "absolute".

To worry about the legitimacy of how the tuning labeled is a bit type A. =
 When Rubenstein missed several notes in the performance of the Lizst =
concerto, we didn't read that he performed the "quasi" Liszt concerto =
last night.  Accepting small deviations doesn't dumb down the standard.  =
It just acknowledges that though theoretical perfection is sought after, =
the failure to achieve should not be construed as failure.

David Love=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20