HTs/exams

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 10 May 2002 09:19:47 -0700

Hey! You guys aren't listening, (reading coherently)! I said the "rub" is:
Getting 3 RPTs together that are conversant with HTs and determining WHICH
HT to tune. If I didn't say that, then I'm not telling, (writing), it
properly! However, it is what I meant. If the test were to be done that way,
we would first have to choose the SPECIFIC HT and then get 3 RPTs to agree
on it. Humph! Like that's going to happen! Some of the responses are coming
from those who have either not ever assisted in an exam, or they weren't
paying attention to the process when they did. IMO the actual "temperament"
in a Master Tuning is NOT a true ET, but rather what the piano allows to
sound the closest to the intended ET. (Considering the criteria of ET)
I hope that will make some sense to all of you, especially those non-RPTs.
ie the test is a flexible entity, centered around the capabilities of the
specific piano used for the exam.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)