PianoDisc technology question

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Fri, 10 May 2002 12:03:34 -0700

PianoDisc, (and their competitors for that matter), is based on midi
technology.  These are digital data, NOT music recordings.  In other
words you cannot just take a music CD and convert it to play on a
PianoDisc system.

PianoDisc recordings are made in a studio on a piano equipped with a
recording system, (also available as a consumer option).  In the studio
however, the recordings are input directly into a computer for editing
with midi software rather than on a control box disk.  During the
recording, as is in most midi applications, the system not only records
which note is being played at any given time and how long plays, but
also the note's velocity, (i.e. volume).  Simultaneously the sustain
pedal data is also recorded.  Once the artist is finished and the data
is in the computer the recording can be edited using midi sequencing
software.  The editing is not intended for changing the recording or
adding/taking away expression, but to simply remove subtle mistakes and
nuances that the pianist may have made.  This is done with the artists
approval and personal satisfaction and not necessarily PianoDisc's.
 Once the editing has been completed it is ready to be converted to
PianoDisc's system format and put onto disks for distribution.

There is one exception to this process, that being their "live
orchestrated" disks which include not only the digital piano data but
also "live accompaniment" from other musicians.  These recordings are
made in the same way as any normal audio recording would me made in a
studio other than that the piano portion is recorded in the same midi
digital method mentioned above rather than acoustically.  After editing
the digital piano portion the accompaniment audio tracks and the digital
piano data are rejoined as single recording and burned onto CD ready to
play.

The PianoDisc recordings of famous dead pianists such Horowitz,
Rubinstein, and Rachmaninoff are transcribed from old reproducing player
piano rolls.  Specifically, these would be from systems capable of
playing the dynamics such as the Ampico, DuoArt, and Welte players.
 Many now deceased artists made recordings for these pianos.  The
dynamic expression of these recordings are remarkable.  Many piano techs
poo poo these pianos thinking that they were little more than basic old
players.  They in fact were not.  Unfortunately there are only a handful
of rebuilders in the country experienced and capable of rebuilding these
pianos so that they play they way they did when new.  If you listen to
one of these fully and properly restored instruments play these
recordings as intended it would knock you off your feet in amazement at
how capable and lifelike they really are, particularly when considering
the early 20th century technology involved.  The transcribed PianoDisc
recordings from these old systems are still probably less than perfect
but with at least most of the expression present and having been played
but the artists themselves they are quite remarkable treasures.  It is a
blessing that we have these recordings preserved today.  It is also a
tragedy that many of these fine old reproducing players are lost forever
by dealers, technicians, and rebuilders who have raped them by
discarding their player systems in order to sell them quickly in the
name of money.  Once they are gone they are gone forever and can never
be replaced.  To learn more about these reproducing pianos and their
recordings I would recommend the following books:

"Re-Enacting The Artist" by Larry Givens, (currently out of print but
worth it's weight in gold if you can find it.)

"Encyclopedia of Automatic Musical Instruments" by Q. David Bowers,
(wanders in and out of print and expensive but well worth the money.)

"Player Piano Servicing and Rebuilding" by Arthur A. Reblitz (in print,
mostly technical, but excellent information and a must for restorations).

"The Golden Age of Automatic Musical Instruments" By Arthur A. Reblitz.
 (This is his latest work and is specifically on the history of
automatic music machines, their recordings, and their abilities.  It
took Art over ten years of research to assemble and is also the only
book available with detailed color photographs of these machines both
assembled and disassembled.  Again very expensive but well worth it if
you are seriously interested in learning about these machines).

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV