HTs/Exam

Fri, 10 May 2002 21:50:46 +0200

David Love wrote:

> Do people who tune aurally actually count beat rates?  I never did.  Since
> the beat rate of, for example, the F3-A3 third will vary slightly from piano
> to piano, it is more important to be able to hear how rates compare to each
> other and to discern certain relationships like 4:5.  Setting up a piano by
> a using a strict set of beat rates for a certain interval won't always work
> (at least in ET).  Beat rate counters such as Sanders makes are nice as
> training tools and to get you in the ballpark, but it's the ability to hear
> the relationships that will ultimately get you where you're going.
>
> David Love

Yes... well its exactly the same in HT's... But still you use a basic recipe, as
in ET to get you there. And you have a few tests to help you along to. My point
is that a test of someones ability to put intervals into a given set of
relationships useing the aural tools and understanding of partial relationships
could easily enough be devised that could cover everthing our present test sets
out to accomplish, and probably a good deal more. And it certainly could be made
to be temperament independant.

No matter tho... it aint gonna happen. :)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.