1969 Steinway L CBS?

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sun, 12 May 2002 20:18:31 EDT

et al;
 As I continue to watch this discussion re: S&S quality/consistency/value,
the main feeling I am getting is that we expect more from S&S than perhaps we
do from other marques. Is this possible??
  Is the fact that S&S is what we 'tend' to judge other pianos 'from', a
factor in our sometimes adamant feelings about some peccadillo or 'grande'
peccadillo we find in these thingees????

 Complaints have been raised about no research or changes in S&S........ and
while certainly not setting the research facilities burning the midnight oil
S&S has made changes over the years......to convince yourself of this just
think about the things they have tried......how many "new" hammers have they
introduced in the last fourty years?? How many new dimension, or new
material, action parts have they introduced in the last 50 years?? What other
manufacturer has tried a different solution to the balance rail ala the
ubiquitous "accelerated action" quonset huts.........I could go on but you
get the idea...don't you???

 Perhaps S&S does not meet our own indidvidual expectations and when we run
across an example that really 'SUCKS' as a musical instrument it just galls
us all out of proportion......... Is that because we have never seen another
brand of piano that "SUCKS" just as bad??? .........or is it because we
expect more from S&S??????????

 The average production S&S as delivered to a dealer, before personal
attention is given them by a decent technician, are some of the worst pianos
I have ever seen....I am speaking of action/keys/dampers as well as fit and
finish of the cabinet. However those same thingees, given the attention they
require, are among the best out there today..........pricey little buggers
too!!?

 Are the S&S thingees as good as they can be???? Well they can certainly be
made to be better in some opinions but than they ain't S&S are they?

 No answers from me y'all just some scattered thoughts.......
Jim Bryant (FL)