Touchweight Metrology Question

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 14 May 2002 22:39:31 -0400

I am taking my second stab at touchweight metrology analyses of an action (my first was half-hearted and incomplete). Yamaha G5, 1963, action in very good condition. Complaint: action heavy. It is indeed with DWs all over the 60 to 80 gram range (mostly around 65 grams). Some notes do have a lot of friction, but many measured notes only have 10, 11, 12 grams friction, so clearly there is a problem with either too much weight hanging out somewhere, or bad geometry. KR is 0.49, BWs are mostly around 50 to 55 grams or so. I have not measured strike weights and wippen radius weights yet.

I have yet to go through and complete the Stanwood data sheet (I'm about half way through). My question at this time is general in nature: Is there any specific area I should be targeting for analyses? I guess I just feel like I'm collecting this data and don't have a clue as to what I'm going to do with it. I'll re-read David's Journal articles also.

Maybe too early yet to even be asking questions. Just wondering if anyone that is familiar with this process has any recommendations. Thanks.

Terry Farrell