Touchweight Metrology Question

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Sun, 19 May 2002 15:25:02 -0400

At 8:01 AM -0700 5/18/02, David Love wrote:
>McMorrow may have pushed the envelope in the other direction with respect to
>hammer weight, but the idea is not totally without merit.

McMorrow is not the only one whose main suggestion to action set-up
problems is to remove large amounts of weight from the hammers. He
just may have been the only to specify starting off with lead-free
keys. Wally Brooks, nowadays is teaching that in an action whose
parts have been properly chosen, any touchweight difficulty can be
cleared up be stock removal on the hammers. (That's HWs not SWs, as
he doesn't believe in SWs.) I've used the Wally option twice, getting
him to prehang Abel hammers on Abel shanks, but first grinding
material off the hammers to match the HW of the old hammers. This in
situations where the original KR would not support the increased
weight of new hammers (OEM NY Steinway in one case) and where the
budget wouldn't allow for more extensive work. I got nice new hammers
with lots of felt on them, but weighing little more than the original
bantam weight ones. A year later, I'm still wondering what they would
have sounded like with. (And no, I've never been convinced of extra
advantage of extra SW, based simply on samples weighted up with
solder wire wrapped temporarily around the shank.)

>It never hurt
>Horowitz.

But it certainly would have hurt any other pianist trying to make
music one his piano. He was the only one who could play his pianos;
under anyone else's hands they were ugly and out-of-control.

I agree with Jon on what's called for by this situation. Do the work
using obvious means of changing the touchweight, ie. reducing the SWs
and Friction. There's obvious work to be done in both these areas,
and compared to the cost of other more comprehensive approaches
involving new shanks, rebalancing the keyboard, or even changing the
cap line, it'll fit into the budget. And get you within the ball park
that most of the musicians will notice.

I'd also like to point of the conundrum handed to us by this whole
business, that even with a smooth SW curve, there are enough
variables active in the system, the we do have to face the choice
between an even FW line (inertial resistance) or an even BW line
(even gravitational resistance). David Stanwood, with his years of
observation and experience, choses even inertial resistence.

But let's put this in perspective. We're barely talking a few grams
disagreement here. Let me blindfold you, tape the end of your index
finger (so as to dull your tactile sense), and then balance a 1 or 2
grams wafer on top of that. Can you tell me when it is that the extra
weight hits the end of your finger.

Bill Ballard RPT
New Hampshire Chapter PTG

"First you pays your money and then you takes your choice."
	Pogo.