Cleaning the gluepot

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 20 May 2002 09:48:49 EDT

In a message dated 20/05/02 6:59:30 AM, tito@PhilBondi.com writes:

<< 1. Why do you think it is "time" to clean the glue pot?

..well, I'm the self-professed 'rook' and my first encounter with my glue

pot resulted in, as you can imagine, a mess on the inside walls (yes, it's

an electric pot from Schaff). I am assuming (dangerous, I know) that the

dried stuff on the inside walls is not necessarily good going back in the

glue when you add to the pot for more glue, hence my question.

Phil........remarks made below only reflect my opinion and do not needfully
reflect reality as perceived by others..........

 There is one way to absolutely ruin a pot of glue and one way to possibly
ruin a pot of glue..................to absolutely ruin a pot of glue just
'boil' it or allow the glue to boil.
To possibly ruin a pot of glue contaminate it with something that cannot be
cleaned out.............
 There are no properties inherent in hide glue that make 'old' glue less
viable than 'new' glue.
   Thingees happen when mixing a new batch of glue such as entrained air
bubbles, a blob that just will not dissolve, a grainy texture to the glue and
other assorted weird stuff.  The air bubbles should be just skimmed off and
discarded, lumps should be strained out and discarded......if you get a batch
of 'grainy' glue just allow the pot to stay warm for several hours/days and
usually it will 'ungrain' itself.......(I normally will just discard a
'grainy' batch of glue though:)

 Using a controlled temperature pot, such as you have, will in no way harm
the glue within....even if you leave it plugged in and uncovered for several
days and the stuff gets as hard as a hockey puck........just reconstitute it
with water and glue on...............

 The nature of hide glue and glue pots is to get messy around the rim and
side walls...if you "clean" the pot every time it gets messy you will have a
full time-part time job on your hands. Live with the mess as long as it does
not inhibit your work.....

 Everyone has their own 'rules' for hide glue usage and thoughts as to when
to use it and when not to use it.......but there is one factoid that should
be kept in mind.......hide glue does not 'go bad'/'lose it strength'/'become
unworkable' simply due to the length of time it has been worked with/heated.

  In addition hide glue does not 'age' in the pot. You have used my glue pot
so I can ask you these questions: Did It smell?/stink? Was the glue workable?

  I do not reguarly clean my glue pot 'except' when I do something stupid
like spill coffee in it :) or leave the cover on after unplugging the pot
thereby growing a beaudacious and luxuriant mold colony.
 Any "bacteriological" growth concerns are mostly meaningless though one
would not desire to use a glue contaminated with bacteria on purpose would
one???? But wait, what does the addition of urea introduce into the glue
mix???? Hasn't urea been used for several hundreds of years with little
effect on the glue strength???
 "Bacteria" grow in the presence of moisture and a food source....hide glue
makes an excellent medium for culture growth if it is kept warm and moist
constantly. In a dry/cold state hide glue does not promote "bacteria"
growth.... period.

 My current pot of glue is the same pot (or rather some of the same) of glue
that was used when you were here last.........addition of water and new
granules as needed of course. If the caveats as presented on the useage of
'old' glue were in fact correct then I should be plauged with problems of
failed smelly and moldy glue joints....ain't happened yet.
 So in summary....clean the pot because you want it 'neater' if you
like...don't clean the pot because the glue is "old/bad/unusable". To reuse
the glue which clings to the side just flake it off, let it fall back into
the pot add a touch of water and glue on baby.......
 Of course the above comments just reflect 'my' stupid opinion......
Jim Bryant (FL)