Marketing Approach

Greg Casper gcasper@pacbell.net
Mon, 20 May 2002 18:53:08 -0700

Greg Casper
San Jose, CA

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Farrell
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 4:59 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Marketing Approach

I tuned a small Baldwin grand for a lady today. I would guess it is at least
50 years old. It is not one of their top-teir pianos - it is one of the
cheaper ones. The thing has realy tubby bass strings and the action is way
out of regulation, etc. - your basic worn out older piano.

She informed me that she just moved here and wants to start teaching piano
again. She also plays violin. So of course, I was thinking that I should
mention to her some ways to improve the performance of her piano - if not a
total rebuild/replacement at least new bass strings and a serious action
refurbish/rebuild.

So I asked her how long she has had the piano. She said five years. She
bought it because it has just been totally rebuilt: Hammers may have been
filed, case was crumily (word?) refinished, and plate and tuning pins and
agraffes and strings had been painted gold.

I clammed up at that point and left. Is there any constructive way to sell
her work in light of the recent "rebuild"? Anyone with a clever sales
approach that would cut through the BS that she apparently purchased in the
past?

I've run into similar situations before and really don't know what to say
that might sound constructive and appropriate.

Terry Farrell