Liberace Museum News

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 21 May 2002 08:58:45 EDT

List,

I wonder who tunes the pianos at this site?

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin

New Expanded Liberace Museum Grand Opening Set for Thursday, May 30th

Siegfried & Roy to Cut the Rhinestone-Covered Ribbon

LAS VEGAS, May 21 /PRNewswire/ -- The Liberace Museum, one of Las Vegas' most
popular destinations, is celebrating its 23rd anniversary with a major
expansion and remodel. The Grand Opening of the new Museum is set for
Thursday, May 30, 2002, at 2 p.m., with Liberace's favorite magicians,
Siegfried & Roy, cutting the rhinestone-encrusted ribbon to kick off the
celebration.  Siegfried & Roy will make their entrance in Liberace's
mirror-covered Volks Royce convertible.  Liberace Scholars and other
entertainers will perform for the event.   Admission is free to all Nevada
residents with I.D. (limit 2 per I.D.) May 30th only!

The Museum features "Mr. Showmanship's" dazzling jewelry, rare antiques,
spectacular wardrobe, customized and historical pianos and his one-of-a-kind
car collection.  The non-profit Museum supports the work of The Liberace
Foundation for the Performing and Creative Arts, which has funded over $4.5
million in scholarships for the arts since 1976.

The new Museum is divided into five galleries:  The Car Gallery, the Piano
Gallery, the Costume Gallery, the Awards Gallery and the Grand Gallery with
its first temporary exhibit "Legends are Born: Liberace and Las Vegas
1940s-1960s" which will run through Spring 2003. Also on exhibit is a
recreation of Liberace's Master Suite from the Cloisters, his Spanish-style
hacienda in Palm Springs.

According to Leo A Daly architect Frank Dumont, "We were truly honored to
have been selected for the expansion and remodel of the Liberace Museum.  It
was an entertainment designer's dream -- to recreate Liberace's career and
legacy in built form!"  Dumont's goal was to physically capture the
virtuosity of a Liberace musical performance -- curvilinear shapes covered in
a vast flowing musical score, with piano keys playfully dancing across the
facade.

The cylindrical glass entrance foyer is surmounted by an oversized pink neon
piano and a giant rendition of Liberace's famous signature. Every element of
the design is grand and overscaled to evoke the late entertainer's flamboyant
style and musical accomplishments.

The Museum Store has been greatly expanded and the new Liberace Cafe serves
food and drink to visitors.  The Liberace Museum is located at 1775 East
Tropicana Avenue (at Spencer), Las Vegas, NV 89119-6529, 702-798-5595;
website:  www.liberace.org.