Tunings stability problem

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Sat, 25 May 2002 18:58:23 +0200

Hello Wim.

Can you tell more about the entire pin block epoxying procedure ? (I am =
interested by that).

Regards,

St=E9phane Collin
(Bruxelles, Belgium)

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2002 6:32 PM
  Subject: Re: Tunings stability problem

  In a message dated 5/25/02 1:29:33 PM !!!First Boot!!!, =
jurjens@tpg.com.au writes:=20

    Won't shimming or larger pins make a crack spread wider, making the =
problem=20
    worse?=20

    Is this why glue may be better?=20

    Is glue only useful for a cracked plank? Or also for enlarged holes? =

    Scott=20

  It is my opinion that you cannot permanently fix a cracked pin block. =
You can slow it down, and you can temporarily keep the pins from =
slipping. But the only permanent solution to a cracked pinblock is a new =
one. The only exception to that is if you epoxy the entire block. But =
that procedure should only be done in extreme situations, like a =
mortised in block.=20

  Wim=20