Touchweight Metrology Question

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sat, 25 May 2002 14:43:03 EDT

In a message dated 5/24/2002 7:28:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:

> Subj:Re: Touchweight Metrology Question
> Date:5/24/2002 7:28:05 PM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:davidlovepianos@earthlink.net">davidlovepianos@earthlink.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Of course, it was a different hammer than they produce now.  Didn't need
> any lacquer.  Had nice resilience and tension.  And do you think they did a
> bit better job of bellying back then?
>
> I trust the cape was pleasant.
>
> David Love
>                               Hey dave

   The cape was pleasant as was Jon and Joanne Pages hospitality. Daughter is
now graduated from Clark in Worcester Mass. Drivers, maps and roads way worse
than ours in Calif.
    Ronsen hammers seem to me to be as close to the original densitys and
weights as the old stlye under discussion. I'm not convinced for a moment
that no stiffening soutions were used on some of those sets but that being
said I also do not believe they needed stiff doses of anything and neither do
the Ronsens.
 As to care in the belly process they perhaps had more seasoned wood and
generations of seasoned bellymen that probably had more cumulative
experience.
  I've heard really good bellys from the late 60's and early 70's. I have
wondered about those guys and where they are now.
   Best