SAT and K&C

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Thu, 30 May 2002 12:39:06 -0400

SAT and K&CHi Dave!

This may blow all of your North Bennet Street School and PTG fuses ...!

If you can't make it, fake it!!

As for those improbable negative readings that come up from time to time =
-- I just toss them.  Something's confused, be this the SAT, myself, or =
perhaps even the piano, but I don't see it as something to get obsessed =
over.  I just make sure I do the readings on page 0 of the SAT, after =
checking to make sure the SAT is calibrated and its "stealth memory" has =
its default setting at 0.0.  (The "stealth memory" is a setting I have =
inadvertently set at one time or another to some other value, and have =
always had to comb through the owners manual to find out how to reset it =
to 0.0.)

Seriously -- the model of piano you are referring to is hardly known for =
stellar performance capabilities, being the piano of choice for a] =
someone who is on a severely tight budget, and/or b] someone who is just =
starting out and has yet to give much thought on how a piano should =
sound.  The scale design is such that a "mathematically correct" tuning =
as calculated by the SAT would sound terrible.

A SAT tuning that works well as a starting point for this model is the =
"prefabricated" tuning (available from Inventronics) for the Yamaha GH1, =
followed by a little aural tweaking of the upper bass/lower tenor =
sections.

I confess -- I have very little patience for these K&Cs.  So far, I've =
had good luck pleasing the customers using this method.  The piano =
sounds decent, their tuning budget is still intact ....  Don't forget, =
they are the ones who have to live with the piano, even if we have =
trouble living with ourselves after servicing one of these.

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
NBSS '89
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net