Retirement of a fork

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Fri, 31 May 2002 11:51:53 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Wow, that's interesting. I have noticed my fork (which is supposed to be a
good one) was around a cent off from the A440 on my electronic metronome.
Since I can calibrate TuneLab to whichever A440 I'm using, I haven't yet
determined which is correct. I have been using the fork so I can learn to
use a fork. But if I want to set an accurate A440, maybe I'll switch to my
electronic A440.

If you're calibrating your own forks, one strategy might be to calibrate
it so that it's at A440 when you've held it in your hand. Your body
temperature is pretty constant, so whatever season it is, you just warm up
the fork in your hand and it should be at A440, right? I find that my
forks changes pitch a little after I've handled it, especially in the
winter when it starts out cold. Someone else had suggested putting the
fork between your belt and shirt, and to use that temperature.

Charles