Writing on Pianos

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 31 May 2002 13:56:23 EDT

In a message dated 5/30/02 12:32:53 PM Central Daylight Time,
cedel@supernet.com (Clyde Hollinger) writes:

> One of my pet peeves is gluing a business card to the piano somewhere.  Who
> of us can be certain that we will be servicing that piano for the rest of
> its life?

I completely agree with Terry and Bob on this one.  I consider writing in the
piano to be graffiti, a defacement of the piano.  It is unnecessary and
destructive.  So is putting one of those damn stickers in there (or as Clyde
said, gluing on a card).

I have hundreds of cards that I have collected over the years that were left
in pianos.  I never leave one in a piano because I know that if I did, it
would not be seen by the customer and if another tuner came along, he/she
would take it for his/her collection just as I do.  I give mine to the
customer.

Bob's idea of keeping a service log in the bench is a good one.  Using card
stock and an envelope will keep it from deteriorating over the years.  I do
it when I am requested to do so but doing it routinely is a good way of doing
business.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin