Heavy action

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 01:17:49 +0200

David,

I believe you read a little too fast, it is 60 DW 45 UW that makes 52.5 g
Balance weight and a light 7.5 g friction.

Even then, if all else is correct, adding lead may not cause problems I
believe.

The hammers may be very heavy to obtain this figure (I understood that,
finally !)

Regards.

Isaac
  It's pretty hard to address this without a little more data.  Adding lead
may not be a problem depending on the actual front weight.  The bass section
will often take 4 leads without an inertia problem, but it depends on where
they are.  Your C4 has a balance weight of 47.5 g.  To bring it down to 40
you will need to add 7.5 grams to the front weight.  With only two leads at
this position it may not be a problem, but it depends on the overall front
weight.  Balance weight at 40 is a reasonable target for this action.  That
puts the DW/UW at 47/33 with 7 grams of friction.  I'd rather see the
friction around 10 here so I would check the hammer flange pinning.  With 10
grams of friction, the DW/UW will be 50/30.  If the hammer weight/strike
weight at this point is representative of the overall curve and the front
weight is not too high, that will produce a nice feeling instrument.
Stanwood's system provides a nice method for analysis of these points.  The
fundamentals of this system are available from the journal archives in a
series of 3 articles written awhile back.  I highly recommend you become
familiar with them.  It is perfectly designed to answer questions such as
you are posing.

  David Love